HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

What do you look for in a trading workstation?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
aaronchall

PostSubject: What do you look for in a trading workstation?   Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:57 pm

I was at Merrill, and had all the tools of a basic Merrill advisor at my fingertips. Honestly, I don't even miss it. The double monitor Thomson workstation looked cool with a bunch of numbers changing all the time and the charts and prices and whatnot, but many screens were emulated Unix greenscreens.

I really do more longer-term positions. I'm generally bullish, and I just like to double or triple down when it's cheap to do so, and deleverage on profit. I might trade spreads when it's paying well.

Everything I have right now is free. I'd like some good tools, and I know what they'd look like if they were in front of me, but my experience is that more isn't necessarily better, and in general, I know how to get what I want, unless it's unfree.

I'd like something that tells me more about the market. I know the level of open interest and the volume. I have option charts (though they're not very flexible.) I'd like more flexible option price charts, and I'd like to get the open interest on both sides. I'd like to have charting of the option bid/ask spreads. I'd like to know how many have interest in how many shares at what price on both sides. Am I asking too much?

So what do you look for in a trading workstation? What's your favorite? Can you recommend anything to me that gives me what I want? (I'm not sure even a Bloomberg machine can do that...)

Aaron
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a trading workstation?   Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:22 pm

if you want something with option charting...

for data/news/charts only... try reuters quote center/bridge

for the same with tradingintegrated into the system... try esignal premiere plus, esignal advanced get edition, or tradestation
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a trading workstation?   Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:29 am

I agree with WSE

I tried eSignal not too long ago and the tools were excellent. My only problem was that the fees are a bit high.

Premiere costs $165 per month with no options information
Premiere Plus costs about $205 per month with options information

Advanced GET edition is about $135 per month for everything but you have to pay for the software license - $3000
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a trading workstation?   

Back to top Go down

What do you look for in a trading workstation?
Page 1 of 1